Problem when using variable assignment, backticks in shell script

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Tue Aug 29 23:08:00 GMT 2006

On 29 August 2006 22:00, Silva, Russell wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I tried this; it's an excellent point but isn't the problem.  I
> experimented using your script version and $? is indeed set to 0 when
> the backtick output is empty.
>
> I'd be happy to hear more suggestions.  I also need to try this on
> another machine (my home box, perhaps) to see if it's reproducible on
> other machines.  Have you tried any of these scripts to see if it's a
> problem general to Cygwin users?

  Yep, I tried

>> <bug_reproduce3.sh>

before I thought about modifying it.  Didn't get the error to occur.  Will run
it a few more times and see.  Am using self-built version of cygwin1.dll from
20060720.  I'll see what happens with a more recent version as well.

    cheers,
      DaveK