Color Schemes

René Berber r.berber@computer.org
Thu Aug 31 07:21:00 GMT 2006

Richard Lynch wrote:

> This may be a generalized Un*x question, but I've been going in circles for
> awhile now, and cygwin is the current beast being beaten on.
>
> I like color-coding of ls and vim and man and all that.
>
> But I can't handle the default color scheme.  My eyes are too old.
>
> So I changed the colors in cygwin DOS-like shell preferences to black
> foreground and white background.
[snip]
> I suspect (and hope) that I've just missed some mind-numbingly simple tool to
> change the color scheme system-wide...

Simple alternative: use rxvt.

Rxvt in its default mode appears as black over white, "man man" looks fine
because it doesn't try to use colors (under rxvt) instead it uses bold, "ls"
looks OK but not great, the executables appear as green over white...

I use reverse video (white on black) so I'm not sure if there are other details
with the scheme you are trying to use.
--
René Berber