echo hi|egrep -v ho #no output

Tom Rodman cygzx@trodman.com
Sat Dec 2 00:47:00 GMT 2006

On Fri 12/1/06 15:57 PST cygwin@cygwin.com wrote:
> Tom Rodman wrote:
>
> > setup.exe did not complain though.  I know I have to update my
>
> It wouldn't, because it does not handle replacement of sh.exe directly.
> That is done in the postinstall step.  I'm still not clear how the
> events transpire that cause this postinstall to fail.  And even if the
> postinstall failed it's designed to run anyway the next time bash runs,
> so I'm stymied.  Maybe based on the ls -l information in your message
> someone can figure out why sh.exe was not replaced.

I have a record of the permissions for the old /bin/sh.exe in
this permissions log file (we were migrating from 1 AD
domain to another):

  /adm/log/owner_sr/121/c_aut $ ls -l SavOwn_aut_setaclALL.34n89g.2912.30daY
  -rw-rw-r-- 1 adm_usr1 XYZ_ES_STAFF 5415564 Mar 30  2005 SavOwn_aut_setaclALL.34n89g.2912.30daY
  /adm/log/owner_sr/121/c_aut $ egrep -A5 '\\sh.exe'  SavOwn_aut_setaclALL.34n89g.2912.30daY
  \\?\C:\aut\cyg\bin\sh.exe

     Owner: BUILTIN\Administrators

     Group: DOMxx0\Domain Users

Sorry for all the junk above.  Since I wrote the script (a wrapper
around a non-cygwin tool called setacl.exe) that made the log, I know
the grep output means /bin/sh.exe was owned by Administrators, and was
in posix group DOMxx0\Domain Users, and that it had no *only* inherited
permissions (it would inherit from c:\aut\ ). For perms on c:\aut, see
log below my sig. setup.exe did not instruct me to reboot, but I did
anyway.

I'm ready to let this thread die.  Thanks again Brian for your help.

--
Tom

permissions on current bash.exe, and it's parent dirs:
--v-v------------------C-U-T---H-E-R-E-------------------------v-v--
~ $ dacl /bin/bash.exe #dacl is a short bash function/wrapper for setacl.exe
+ setacl -on 'c:\aut\cyg\bin\bash.exe' -ot file -actn list -lst 'f:tab;w:o,g,d,s;i:y;s:n'
\\?\c:\aut\cyg\bin\bash.exe

   Owner: DOMxx1\staffuser2

   Group: BUILTIN\Users

   DACL(not_protected+auto_inherited):
   BUILTIN\Administrators   full   allow   inherited
   Everyone   read_execute   allow   inherited

SetACL finished successfully.
+ set +x
~ $ dacl 'c:\aut\cyg\bin'
+ setacl -on 'c:\aut\cyg\bin' -ot file -actn list -lst 'f:tab;w:o,g,d,s;i:y;s:n'
\\?\c:\aut\cyg\bin

   Owner: BUILTIN\Administrators

   Group: DOMxx1\Domain Users

   DACL(not_protected+auto_inherited):
   BUILTIN\Administrators   full   allow   object_inherit+inherit_only+inherited
   BUILTIN\Administrators   full   allow   container_inherit+inherited
   Everyone   read_execute   allow   object_inherit+inherit_only+inherited
   Everyone   read_execute   allow   container_inherit+inherited

SetACL finished successfully.
+ set +x
~ $ dacl 'c:\aut\cyg'
+ setacl -on 'c:\aut\cyg' -ot file -actn list -lst 'f:tab;w:o,g,d,s;i:y;s:n'
\\?\c:\aut\cyg

   Owner: BUILTIN\Administrators

   Group: DOMxx1\Domain Users

   DACL(not_protected+auto_inherited):
   BUILTIN\Administrators   full   allow   object_inherit+inherit_only+inherited
   BUILTIN\Administrators   full   allow   container_inherit+inherited
   Everyone   read_execute   allow   object_inherit+inherit_only+inherited
   Everyone   read_execute   allow   container_inherit+inherited

SetACL finished successfully.
+ set +x
~ $ dacl 'c:\aut'
+ setacl -on 'c:\aut' -ot file -actn list -lst 'f:tab;w:o,g,d,s;i:y;s:n'
\\?\c:\aut

   Owner: BUILTIN\Administrators

   Group: DOMxx1\Domain Users

   DACL(protected+auto_inherited):
   BUILTIN\Administrators   full   allow   object_inherit+inherit_only
   BUILTIN\Administrators   full   allow   container_inherit
   Everyone   read_execute   allow   object_inherit+inherit_only
   Everyone   read_execute   allow   container_inherit

SetACL finished successfully.
+ set +x
~ $ dacl 'c:\'
+ setacl -on 'c:\' -ot file -actn list -lst 'f:tab;w:o,g,d,s;i:y;s:n'
\\?\c:\

   Owner: BUILTIN\Administrators

   Group: BUILTIN\Administrators

   DACL(protected+auto_inherited):
   OurServer121\cschnede   full   allow   container_inherit+object_inherit
   Everyone   full   allow   container_inherit+object_inherit

SetACL finished successfully.
+ set +x
~ $