installing guile

Charles D. Russell worwor@bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 2 17:25:00 GMT 2006

   After installing the cygwin guile package, attempting to run guile
leads to the message that it cannot find "guile.init".  I find no
reference to "guile.init" in either info guile nor in the cygwin guile
README.

  I had previously gotten a working guile by installing cygwin guile on
top of a previous SCM that I had built, with some trouble, from source.
I decided to delete that and simply install from setup, for a clean
default installation that could be maintained automatically by cygwin
setup.exe. However, the current package does not even seem to install
the prerequisite SLIB. I am spoiled by six years of having cygwin
setup.exe install and configure my software so that it is simply
plug-and-play.

  I can understand that for less popular packages it may be impractical
to fully automate installation and configuration through setup.exe, but
in such cases it would be very handy to have a set of cookbook
directions in the accompanying README or, better yet, in a separate INSTALL.