Argument list too long

Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
Sun Dec 3 03:30:00 GMT 2006

I get the error message "argument list too long"
while building GCC on certain Cgywin installations,
but not all.  This happens when make executes a
command with a large number of arguments.  I'm
assuming that this is because I'm running out of
environment space.

Some of the workarounds, like using xargs, are
awkward or unfeasible.  Remounting /bin -X doesn't
help (although I'm not sure how this affects the
max size of arg lists).

Is there any way to increase the size of the
environment space?  Or another resolution?
This is on WindowsXP.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077