1.5.21-1 Release: System resources not freed, can lead to system reboot.

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 4 21:32:00 GMT 2006

Dave Silvia wrote:
> I have a simple script that illustrates a problem I'm dealing with in installing
> a software package which operates under Cygwin. It uses a modified
> configure/config.status scripting and then runs a make. The problem is that when
> the scripts are running, it seems they keep invoking other scripts and the
> resources are left allocated. So, by the time it gets to the make, there are not
> enough resources and the build aborts. When I go into Windows Task Manager, even
> though the Cygwin (bash) shells have long since terminated, the resources are
> not freed.
>
> If I run the simple script, it shows the same type of behavior, i.e., slowly
> eroding resources. And, if I just let it keep running, it doesn't see that the
> resources have been used up and the system reboots.
>
> ----------
> #!/bin/sh
>
> #filename: keepGoing.sh
>
> echo Howdy!
>
> ./keepGoing.sh
> ----------

Well, yes, you have an infinite recursion similar to a classical stack
overflow, only in this instance it is processes that you overflow. That
last line invokes a new shell process to run the script, and waits for
said process to exit. What are you *expecting* to happen? Your script
fails to illustrate any reasonable problem.

> thx,
> Dave S.
> [three wx* links snipped]

Hmm, that's a lot of lines for a .sig, especially rather spammy ones. If
those are yours, you might want to consider a more polite (read:
shorter) signature.

--
Matthew
"Braaaaaaaaiins!" -- Zombies