Postinstall Problem with 01bash.bat

Kenneth Evans, Jr. evans@aps.anl.gov
Mon Dec 11 15:53:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

> What do the following say?

> $ ls -l /bin/sh.exe /bin/bash.exe
> $ bash --version
> $ sh --version

C:\Documents and Settings\evans>ls -l /bin/sh.exe /bin/bash.exe
-rwxrwxrwx 1 evans Users 484352 Dec  6 08:17 /bin/bash.exe
-rwxrwxrwx 1 evans None  451072 Feb 26  2006 /bin/sh.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\evans>bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.5(8)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)

C:\Documents and Settings\evans>sh --version

A dialog says: The procedure entry point rl_getenv_hook could not be located
in the link library cygreadline6.dll.  Afterward, I couldn't exit the
command shell (Eventually I got the not-responding dialog.)

> Should not make a difference.  setup.exe is not a cygwin executable, so it
> does not depend on cygwin/bin being in or out of the PATH.

I did this to determine if it was a PATH problem.

> Please attach, rather than sending files inline, to avoid false positives
> when searching mailing list archives.

Sorry.  I have never used this mailing list and didn't know what is allowed.
I will attach in the future.  I did read the guidelines, but missed that.  I
may have interpreted attach as include, as opposed to not sending the
information.  Again, I apologize.

> You have quite a few things in your path.  Could any of them be providing
> an alternate /bin/sh, even though this cygcheck output didn't detect one?
> Also, when you ran setup.exe, did you have an instance of bash or sh
> already running?

As mentioned it happens with only Cygwin in the PATH.  I may have been
running Emacs, but nothing else.  I don't think it uses bash.  There were
hung jobs in the background.  I should not otherwise have been using bin/sh
or bin/bash.  I don't use them directly myself.  I rebooted several times so
it is unlikely a stray sh.exe was running, but it can't be ruled out.

> Other than that, all I can suggest is manually doing what 01bash.sh would
> have done, which is roughly 'cp /bin/bash.exe /bin/sh.exe'.

C:\Documents and Settings\evans>cp /bin/bash.exe /bin/sh.exe
cp: cannot create regular file `/bin/sh.exe': Device or resource busy

I killed three bash.exe processes and one sh.exe.  Then it ran.  Then I ran
setup.exe, and it finished.  Cool.  If I could have found that information
earlier, it would have saved a lot of time.  There are too many Google hits
on this problem.  I guess we still don't know what was wrong, either.

Thanks very much for your help and especially for responding so soon.

	-Ken