sh problems

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Mon Dec 11 19:50:00 GMT 2006

Bob Rossi wrote:

> I think that I have narrowed this down enough to say that this is a
> cygwin issue. Hopefully, I can get some advice on this list. If I run
> these commands in a dos window that I started nativly on the machine,

So, essentially, this boils down to "I'm running a non-Cygwin app
connected to a Cygwin tty and it's behaving strangely."  Well, duh.
Non-cygwin apps attached to ttys do that, because non-Cygwin apps don't
know what a tty is, they see it as a pipe and get confused.  I don't
understand how you'd expect this to work, unless you thought for some
reason that the fact that you're using MSYS's sh would somehow make it
work because MSYS is an ancient fork of Cygwin.  But it's been all
patched to hell so as to specifically not appear as a Cygwin app, so
it's no different than any other non-Cygwin binary in that regard.  If
you want MSYS's sh to think you're connected to a terminal you'll need
to port openssh to use MSYS and not Cygwin's runtime, so that sh is
connected to a MSYS tty (if MSYS even retained the pty emulation code at
all, I have no idea.)  Remember the key point here, that ttys don't
exist on windows and so they have to be emulated, and this emulation
only works if all the programs involved are in on the prank.

Brian