strange problems with bash after cygwin update

Jonathan Arnold jdarnold@buddydog.org
Thu Dec 14 00:06:00 GMT 2006

Philippe Fremy wrote:
> 	Hi,
>
> My cygwin installation is pretty old, so I decided to update it.
>
> After running the update, bash has a very very strange behaviour.
>
> I wrote a test-bash.sh file with:
> ==========[ content of test-bash.sh ]====
> echo this is a test of bash
> ==========
>

> When I run it:
> <<
> User@Phil_vaio ~
> $ bash test-bash.sh
> : command not found1:
> this is a test of bash
>
> User@Phil_vaio ~
> $ . test-bash.sh
> : command not found
> this is a test of bash
>
> Any idea what got broken during the update ?

You almost certainly have DOS line endings in a file on a binary mount. Either
run it through d2u (DOS 2 unix) or edit it using an editor that doesn't add
DOS line endings.  Or any other of a myriad solutions. See much discussion and,
most importantly, the release notes for the latest Base.

--
Jonathan Arnold                       http://www.buddydog.org