Nfs server and rsync

Larry Hall (Cygwin) reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com
Fri Dec 15 16:11:00 GMT 2006


Ulf Stoermer wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I'm running the universal NFS server 2.3 on a WinXP box
> and nfs-mount a directory from a Linux box. Then, from the
> Linux box I use the rsync command to copy a file tree from
> the local Linux drive to the nfs-mounted directory.
> 
> I'm transferring about 4GB of data and of course I don't expect
> any marvelous performance, but still, it takes hours.
> 
> During the transfer I noticed that bascially during all the time
> the floppy led of the Cygwin machine is switched on and very
> often I can hear the clicking noise for attempted floppy access.
> 
> So I guess it's the constant floppy access that makes my
> transfer so terribly slow. On the other hand, why does the
> floppy get accessed all the time in first place? Is it nfs-server
> who does the floppy access and why?
> 
> If anyone can shed some light on this or point out where to
> have a closer look at. Any comment is greatly appreciated.


Perhaps you can tell us more about your system and what command-line you're
using to do the copy.  Take a look at the link below for some specific
guidelines:

> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html



-- 
Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list