Weird cosmetic bug after viewing bash man page

Aaron Humphrey alfvaen@gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 00:39:00 GMT 2006

On 12/15/06, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> I'm wondering whether this might be related to this old problem.
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2006-11/msg00734.html
> I was having man pages where bold was not turn off properly.  If I
> remember correctly, this suggestion fixed it for me.
> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-11/msg00552.html
> May it would fix one or both problems.

Oddly enough, it seems to.  In fact, just adding the '-c' option to
NROFF in man.conf, without having to remove '-Tlatin' or add the
'2> /dev/null' (which I'm not sure would work under tcsh anyway).
That is, man stops bolding too many things, and it turns off properly
when I exit.

So why do I have to 'revert to the old behaviour of grotty', which is
what the nroff -c seems to be doing, before man will bold things
properly?

--
 --Alfvaen (Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
 Current Album--Eight Seconds:Almacantar