[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: gcc-3.4.4-3

Mon Dec 18 09:43:00 GMT 2006

Dave Korn wrote:
>   A new release of gcc, version 3.4.4-3, has been uploaded to sourceware.org,
> and will appear on your local mirror after it next refreshes.

>   Thanks to everyone who tested and reported both problems and successes with
> the experimental version, and to Angelo Graziosi in particular for his help.

Thank YOU for your diligent efforts with regards to this core package!
NOTE TO IGOR: time to upgrade Dave's 'experimental gold star' to a real one!

>         * Updated build script, but one problem remains: /usr/src
>           must be mounted in managed mode when setup.exe is used
>           to install the sources, or they must be copied from
>           there to a managed directory before building.

I've never understood why this was necessary -- because you can
(natively) build gcc on mingw, and IT doesn't have support for managed
mounts.  What part of gcc is built on cygwin, but not on mingw, such
that cygwin encounters this naming issue and is forced to resort to
managed mounts?  collect2 maybe?

--
Chuck