OT observation: displaying share perms while in an ssh session

Wed Dec 20 23:30:00 GMT 2006

Andrew Louie wrote:
> On 12/20/06, Tom Rodman <cygzx <at> trodman.com> wrote:
>> Thought this was interesting. My theory: if your in a cygwin
>> *password* *authenticated* ssh session, and you try to get a reporting
>> of the permissions for a network share, that the report will fail,
>> unless SYSTEM has read rights on the share.
>
> Are you talking about having an SSH daemon running through cygwin on a
> windows computer, then accessing that computer through ssh, and trying
> to read network shares off of it?
>
> You have to change the SSH daemon to run as a user of the domain so
> that it can read network shares properly, this guide is a big help:
>
> http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~kscully/CygwinSSHD_W2K3.html

First, the instructions you point at are not maintained or supported by
this list.  Folks using them should direct problems, questions, and comments
about these instructions to kscully at ist dot uwaterloo dot ca.

Second, the OP specifically called out that he's talking about *password
authentication*, not _public_key_authentication_.  This issue you mention
is only one for _public_key_authentication_.

Holliston, MA 01746