Newbie question - bad terminal configuration

Steven Buroff sburoff@optonline.net
Fri Dec 22 02:47:00 GMT 2006

I've just installed cygwin on Windows XP with SP 2. There is something wrong
with the way the terminal is configured. When I run man, I get the message:

	WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

When I run vim, it is clearly confused about the terminal too. When I
type a ":", it doesn't move to the bottom of the window as it should.
Here is some information that may be relevant.

=
$ echo $TERM
nutc

sburoff@rambo ~
$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 70; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; swtch = ^Z; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R;
werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon
-ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0
ff0
isig icanon iexten echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop -echoctl
-echoke