Problems installing/uninstalling

DePriest, Jason R. jrdepriest@gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 17:54:00 GMT 2006

On 12/26/06, Paul Thompson  wrote:
> I have had recently considerable problems both installing and uninstalling
> cygwin.
>
> XP-pro box
>
> Version: 2.510.2.2
>
> 1st try - downloaded all updates, and install from local disk
> Install stops dead and does not proceed at
>
> /etc/postinstall/01bash.bat
>
> After this, I attempted to uninstall the entire package to reinstall fresh
>
> At this point, uninstall hangs at
>
> Running preremove script...
> base-files
>
> I attempted to delete the installed program by hand, but cannot delete bash.exe
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Paul A. Thompson, Ph.D.
> Division of Biostatistics
> Washington University School of Medicine
> 660 S. Euclid, St. Louis, MO 63110
> 314-747-3793
>
> paul@wubios.wustl.edu
>

> --

First, reboot if you haven't already.  Something may have open handles on bash.

For clues:
What if setup fails?  http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.setup-fails

To get it off your system so you can do a clean install:
How do I uninstall all of Cygwin?
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all

If bash still won't go away, check its permissions and ownership with
the Windows Explorer GUI.

After you get rid of everything, try running setup.exe again.

-Jason