Cygwin slower on one computer

Magnus Holmgren lear@algonet.se
Sat Dec 30 02:43:00 GMT 2006

Magnus Holmgren wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out why Cygwin build things so much slower on one
> computer I have. We're talking about more than 3 times slower on a
> computer that ought to be a bit faster (Athlon64 at 2.2-2.4 GHz,
> compared to a  Pentium M at 1.8 GHz).

This is a little embarrassing, but I finally found out what caused the
large speed difference. You might've guessed it: the firewall.

In this case, it was the Kerio Personal Firewall. I'm guessing it is the
"host intrusion prevention system" module that causes it (not that I had
it enabled). When using the Windows built-in firewall (same as on the
Pentium M system), the Athlon system is indeed a bit faster.

   Magnus