Perl under cygwin in CPAN problem

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Wed Feb 1 00:20:00 GMT 2006

Hi Gerrit,

    Yeah, for most purposes hitting Enter gives
you what you need, but something was weird was
going on.  The problem went away after I - (ug)
rebooted.  Have no idea how it happened -- had closed
out the CMD-window and started with fresh windows,
exiting all cygwin programs, but that didn't make it
go away.  Then I tried a reboot, since I couldn't think
of anything else and the problem went away.

    I don't usually think of rebooting to solve a problem
on XP, as it isn't the standard "catchall" like it was
under Win9x based systems.

    The nuances of Enter not being the same as a CR-LF
are usually only important in something other than the
standard "cooked" tty mode.  I believe the CPAN scripts
may have been using one of these modes.

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> I don't think I get this right.  How do I distinguish between
> LF and CR?  Just hitting <ENTER> at the keyboard should do it?

In the unix or linux tty-based world, ENTER, usually, is the same
as a control-m, while linefeed is usually a control-j.  In
the standard "cooked" input mode, a control-m is accepted the
same as though one typed control-j.

Linda