[octave ] LOADPATH recurses only one level of subdirectories (on network drives)

Larrie Carr larrie@telus.net
Sat Feb 11 04:09:00 GMT 2006

John W. Eaton wrote
> Probably the code you are looking for is the function do_subdir in
> liboctave/kpse.cc.  This file contains a stripped-down version of the
> kpathsearch library.  Most modifications were to remove TeX-specific
> stuff and to convert it to use std::string instead of plain C strings
> which historically leaked memory.  In any case, that function may use
> an optimization to decide when to check for subdirectories.  The
> optimization looks at the link count of the current directory.  If it
> is 2, then the assumption is that the current directory does not
> contain any subdirectories.  That seems to work fine for Unixy
> systems.  Does that assumption not hold for Cygwin?  If so, then I
> think the fix is fairly simple as there is also Windows-specific code
> in that function.  Whether the optimization is performed depends on
> what is #defined at compile time, so you'll probably have to do some
> checking on a Cygwin system to see what is really going on.

Well, after some more experimenting, the problem appears related to using
the recursive search feature of LOADPATH on a *network* drive.  That is,

If the path is located within a physically attached hard drive, octave
operates as expected.  For instance, /cygdrive/c/test// works all the way
down to /cygdrive/c/test/a/b/c/d/e/

If the path is located on a network drive created using windows "Map Network
Drive" menu option under "My Computer", octave will only recurse down 1
level of subdirectory.  For instance "/usr/share/octave/site/m// does not
work.

And if I use a cygwin windows mapping instead
"/cygdrive/x/cygwin/usr/share/octave/site/m//, it still does not work
correctly and recurses down only one level.

In my installation, the entire cygwin root is located on a network drive
(and no one else uses it).  Works just fine for everything else.

John, it you got any other hints, I would appreciate it as I'm diving in.

Larrie.