"have you looked into rebaseall?"

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Fri Feb 17 19:21:00 GMT 2006

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 07:01:29PM -0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 17 February 2006 17:54, Dill, Jens (END-CHI) wrote:
>
>> In another context, Dave Korn writes:
>>
>>> Have you looked into 'rebaseall' yet?
>>
>> My reaction:
>>
>>  o  Don't know about that, let's look it up.
>>
>>  o  Try "man rebaseall" in CygWin shell.  No luck.
>
>  Just FYI, some things have info pages but no man pages.  Any time you try
>"man XXX" and it doesn't work, it's always worth trying "info XXX" as well.
>
>>  o  Try searching Windows 2003 Help.  No luck.
>>
>>  o  Google search turns up people who are complaining
>>     about using it or announcing changes to it.
>>
>>  o  Now clear that it is a CygWin package distributed
>>     as "rebase"
>>
>>  o  Verified that "rebase 2.4.2-1" is installed on my box.
>>
>>  o  Try "man rebase" in CygWin shell.  No luck.
>>
>>  o  Try looking in online CygWin UG:  Not mentioned
>>     in the TOC.
>>
>>  o  Download PDF of user's guide and search for "rebase"
>>     and "rebaseall".  No hits?
>>
>>  o  Can't find a "search this site" button on the CygWin
>>     web site.  Could have sworn there was one.
>
>  The mailing list archives have a search form, but the rest of the site
>doesn't.
>
>  By far the best way to search it is to go to google, and add
>"site:cygwin.com" to whatever other search terms you want.
>
>>  o  "rebase --help" produces a one-liner just describing
>>     the argument syntax without explanation.
>>
>>  o  "rebaseall --help" produces a couple of sentences
>>     telling me to shut down things before using it,
>>     but again, not what it's used for.
>>
>> I'd like to look into this, but how?
>

>Heh, excellent work.  Can't fault you there.

Well, I can sort of fault that you'd take five steps to come to the
conclusion that a program suggested in the Cygwin mailing list was
actually a Cygwin program, i.e., http://cygwin.com/packages/ .

I'd also fault the notion that every single program mentioned in the
context of Cygwin would be mentioned in the Cygwin "UG".

However,

>It's in the cygwin-specific documentation dir, /usr/share/doc/Cygwin.
>It's called "rebase-2.4.2.README" (unless I missed an update recently).
>Start at the bit that reads

i.e., http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.resources.documentation

I am sort of surprised that rebaseall isn't mentioned in the FAQ however.

cgf