Starting applications from Start | ... | Cygwin-X menu

Angelo Graziosi Angelo.Graziosi@roma1.infn.it
Mon Feb 20 17:39:00 GMT 2006

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Brett Serkez wrote:

> <snip>
> > For example, 'xeyes' starts (after startxwin.bat), but emacs does not!
>
> Emacs used to run reliably for me, but the last couple of releases
> simply consumes significant CPU and never displays.  How many such
> applications have your tried and how many fail to display.  In these
> cases, have you used ps -ef, top or other to see if the processes
> are running?
>

> > Then, why should one install those links in the Start | Programs menu
> > (by setup.exe), if they (many of them) seem do not work ?
>
> Your choice, start them via the command line, via start -> programs,
> whatever works for you.
>
> Brett
> Brett C. Serkez, Techie

The problem I posted regards only the case when the X applications are
started by 'Start -> Programs -> Cygwin-X' and not when they are launched
by a shell (xterm after startxwin.bat).

The problem of Emacs you describe, remembers a similar problem I found
with it after a rebaseall, and that was discussed many times on these
m.lists.

If you have rebased the system and after that Emacs takes all CPU and its
windows does not display, then you should reinstall the package
libncurses7-5.3-4 (it is sufficient to copy the non-rebased library
cygncurses7.dll present in libncurses7-5.3-4.tar.bz2 in /bin)

This is only a workaround. It was also suggested by m.l. that Emacs should
be rebuilt linking it with the new libncurses8 intead libncurses7.

Regarding 'ps -et', the X applications that do not start from 'Start ->
... -> Cygwin-X', they are not running.

Cheers,

   angelo.