Permissions problem - odd setup

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Feb 21 17:16:00 GMT 2006

Eric Blake wrote:

> I don't have access to a Samba mount point, so maybe my advice won't
> help much, but here goes anyways.

> First, have you run mkpasswd and mkgroup to create valid /etc/passwd
> and /etc/group files? Without a valid user database, cygwin gets lost
> when trying to check/display/modify permissions of an unknown user.
>
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#mkpasswd has more
> details on running mkpasswd.
I've run mkpasswd but the real question I believe is what domain should
I run mkpasswd for? As I stated above I have run it for the Windows
domain that I log into. However, again, my home directory is served by a
Linux box using Samba but that link box does not participate in the
Windows domain that I log into rather it just runs in it's own workgroup.

>>> Nobody has any ideas?!?
>> OK I'm quite shocked that nobody has any ideas at all on this,
>> nothing to try, no suggestions, etc. Is this even getting through at
>> all or is everybody stumped? I'd really like to get this working for me.
> Also, samba has special options in the CYGWIN environment variable.
> Check out http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html in
> regards to smbntsec. That may be impacting your
> permissions.
I know about SMBNTSEC. I have SMBNTSEC set on.
> Beyond that, maybe getfacl on the various pathname components may
> reveal what permissions are attributed
> to the various files. Again, there may be someone else that has more
> experience with samba to know how
> to answer you better, but at least now you know your request is not
> falling on deaf ears.
I will have to try those getfacl's when I get to work later. I will post
them. However, which directories should I do this for? I mean my home
directory's share point is \\<server>\<share>. I map this to my H drive
then I mount H: /home/defaria.

Thanks for acknowledging my post...
> --
> Eric Blake
Just a little note here but a proper signature delimiter is two dashes
followed by a space. You lack a space.
--
Assphasia- a condition where your face looks so much like your butt your
bowels don't know which way to move.