Mounting a remote file system

David Vergin dvergin@igc.org
Sat Feb 25 01:07:00 GMT 2006

This got me a little excited -- mounting a remote file system on a local
mountpoint...

From: http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html
 > SSHFS: SSH Filesystem
 > This is a filesystem client based on the SSH File Transfer Protocol.
 > Since most SSH servers already support this protocol it is very
 > easy to set up: i.e. on the server side there's nothing to do.
 > On the client side mounting the filesystem is as easy as logging
 > into the server with ssh.

But building it requires FUSE (http://fuse.sourceforge.net/) which, in
turn, requires access to the kernel source.

This conversation:
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/freenx-knx/2005-December/002725.html
suggests that someone is working on getting this running in cygwin. But
I can't find any follow-up.

More googling led me to a similar tool, shfs
(http://shfs.sourceforge.net/) but alas, that also requires compiling a
kernel module.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who could make good use of this sort
of thing. Using cygwin, is there a secure (i.e. ssh) way of mounting or
otherwise directly accessing a remote filesystem located on a linux
server? I've tried to think up some cute ssh-tunneling trick, but my
head can't get there from here.

I did see a few suggestions about doing the mount-remote-fs in Win XP
and then accessing *that* from cygwin, but I couldn't dope out how to do
that either.

TIA
David