Utility to get IP address of the machine

Bernhard Ege bernhard@ege.cc
Thu Jan 5 13:39:00 GMT 2006

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>>> Why not the more simple:
>>>
>>> ipconfig | grep "IP Address" | awk '{print $NF}'
>>

>> Because that may return more than one result. And it doesn't choose
>> the one with the lowest metric, which is most likely to be the primary
>> gateway to the world-at-large.
>

> By and large most people have but 1 IP address but if you must tack on a
> "| head -1". YMMV

Perhaps, but if you ever use VPN, you have more than one network
interface (one physical and one virtual). This was why I created my
little script.

Also, many new motherboard have 2 NICs and also a firewire port that
also functions as a NIC. All in all, more than 1 network interface is
not that uncommon (I have 4 on my pc but up to 3 on my laptop (NIC,
wireless, VPN).

Anyway, I gave my script to aid, not to start a discussion.

Have fun ;-)

Bernhard