permissions and ACLs

Ken Senior senior@juno.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Jan 10 14:01:00 GMT 2006


Cygwin gurus,

Frustrated by permission problems resulting from having two accounts 
with the same user name (one domain, one local) I decided to start over 
with my cygwin installation.  This time, I logged in as local 
administrator (account name say admin@local) and installed cygwin as 
this user.  Then, to make sure I could read and use cygwin from my 
domain account I used the Windows ACLs to also grant my domain account 
"Full Control" to all the files in C:\cygwin.  Thus, both my admin@local 
(local admin) and my admin@domain (domain admin) have Full Control to 
files in C:\cygwin.  But, while logged in both as admin@local and as 
admin@domain I tried from Windows Explorer to delete a file and was 
informed that I do not have permission!  So, I launched the cygwin bash 
window (from admin@local) and performed a chmod 777 on the file (which 
cygwin allowed) and STILL can't delete the file:

admin@local /usr/bin
$ ls -la rsync.exe
-rwxrwxrwx  1 senior Users 245248 Aug 18 03:56 rsync.exe

admin@local /usr/bin
$ rm -f rsync.exe
rm: cannot remove `rsync.exe': Permission denied

admin@local /usr/bin
$

I have read the documentation on NTSEC and from my limited understanding 
of it was able to glean that using the Windows ACLs was probably not the 
right way to grant access to the admin@domain account.  What is the best 
way to allow access of cygwin to *all* administrators and can I repair 
this permissions on this installation?  Thanks again. 

---

My CYGWIN environment variable is set to "CYGWIN binmode ntsec tty title 
server" and the /etc/passwd file follows.

senior@LOCAL /usr/bin
$ less /etc/passwd
SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18::
Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::
Administrator:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:500:513:U-LOCAL\Administrator,S-1-5-21-4847
63869-1563985344-682003330-500:/home/Administrator:/bin/bash
Guest:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:501:513:U-LOCAL\Guest,S-1-5-21-484763869-1563985344
-682003330-501:/home/Guest:/bin/bash
HelpAssistant:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:1000:513:Remote Desktop Help 
Assistant Accoun
t,U-LOCAL\HelpAssistant,S-1-5-21-484763869-1563985344-682003330-1000:/home/Hel
pAssistant:/bin/bash
admin:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:1003:513:U-LOCAL\admin,S-1-5-21-484763869-1563985
344-682003330-1003:/home/admin:/bin/bash
sshd:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:1020:513:sshd 
privsep,U-LOCAL\sshd,S-1-5-21-48476386
9-1563985344-682003330-1020:/var/empty:/bin/bash
SUPPORT_388945a0:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:1002:513:CN=Microsoft 
Corporation,L=Redmon
d,S=Washington,C=US,U-LOCAL\SUPPORT_388945a0,S-1-5-21-484763869-1563985344-682
003330-1002:/home/SUPPORT_388945a0:/bin/bash





--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/



More information about the Cygwin mailing list