Segment fault/Bus error with Singular

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Wed Jan 11 17:08:00 GMT 2006

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> Unfortunately, the instructions in FAQ # 2.15 "How do I install
> snapshots?" is not completely clear.  It says that one should first
> close all Cygwin applications and shells.  But then it says to "run" a
> sequence of commands:
>
>    cd /
>    tar .......
>    cd /tmp
>    tar ......
>
> Now given that I was supposed to exit Cygwin, presumably these commands
> are to be run from a Windows command prompt.
>
> But then to what does root directory "/" refer?  To the Cygwin root?
> And if so, where should I have put the downloaded
> cygwin-inst-YYMMDD.tar.bz2 ?  And if "/" does not refer to the Cygwin
> root, to what does it refer?
>
> If the commands are to be run within Cygwin, on the other hand, then
> that would seem to contradict the first instruction, namely, to close
> all Cygwin applications and shells.

  The instructions say

 [... Few paras of intro ...]
  1.  Download the snapshot, and run [... series of commands ...]
  2.  After closing all cygwin apps, [ .... do something ...]

  Just because the intro section at the top refers in advance to one of the
steps of the procedure doesn't mean you're supposed to do the steps of the
procedure out-of-order!

    cheers,
      DaveK