Segment fault/Bus error with Singular

Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Wed Jan 11 17:37:00 GMT 2006

Sorry, I should not have asked about where to put the downloaded files;
of course that would not matter given that the argument to tar includes
the path to the downloads.

BUT:  The "How do I install snapshots?" FAQ answer is still unclear.  It
says:

   Before installing a snapshot, you must first Close all Cygwin
   applications, including shells and services (e.g. inetd, sshd), before
   updating cygwin1.dll....

    1. Download the snapshot, and run:

       cd /
       tar ...
       cd /tmp
       tar ...

    2. After closing all Cygwin apps (see above), use Explorer or the
       Windows command shell to move C:\cygwin\tmp\usr\bin\cygwin1.dll to
       C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll.

So once again I ask for clarification.  I really do think it's a very
simple and perfectly straightforward question: Does one run those 4
commands in Step 1 from a Windows command prompt or from within Cygwin?