once more unto the breech - please try a snapshot so I can release this thing

Peter Rehley peter@rehley.net
Thu Jan 12 00:14:00 GMT 2006

On Jan 10, 2006, at 6:23 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I hope that I've nailed down the last of the problems due to trying to
> hide the console, aka ssh doesn't work, aka emacs doesn't work, aka
> rxvt doesn't work, aka setsid something doesn't work.
>
> <obligatory-often-ignored-request>
> So, please try a snapshot and report problems.  Please indicate
> whether
> the problem is a regression from 1.5.18 or previous snapshots and
> please
> respond to this message when reporting a problem.  Don't start a new
> thread.  Please always provide cygcheck output even if you think
> you've
> already done it recently.  Please provide exact details to duplicate a
> problem - a simple program indicating the problem is ideal.
> </obligatory-often-ignored-request>

It's a rather difficult bug to reproduce, but I'm still seeing the
hang up with the test_configure script.  I seem to be getting it
about once every 2000 iterations of the program.  The thread where I
mentioned this problem is http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-11/
msg00000.html

The script can be restarted by using the process.exe program (http://
www.beyondlogic.org/solutions/processutil/processutil.htm) using the
restart option.

When I run the test_configure script, after about 2000 iterations it
will hang.  If I do a ps -ef I can see several running sh commands
from the script. I pick the one that doesn't have any children and
cat /proc/<pid>/cmdline and it show <defunct>.  Then I cat the winpid
and use the process program to restart.  This causes things to start
running again.

Occasionally I will see that there is a child process (i.e. sort, not
another sh)  If I try to cat the cmdline the cat process seems to
hang;  I can only kill cat with the task manager.  However, I can
still cat the winpid and when I do the process restart, things start
running again.  This behavior is fairly new.  I have noted that it
was the 12/22/2005 snapshot.  But I didn't try the 12/21, 12/20 or
12/19 snapshots.

The machine is a windows 2000 with sp4.  Dual processor at 933Mhz.

cygcheck.out attached.

Peter