Errors building the FAQ/User's Guide (Attn: xmlto maintainer)?

Igor Peshansky pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Jan 12 02:38:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

I believe I'm up-to-date with xmlto and DocBook on Cygwin.  Still, I was
unable to build either the user's guide or the FAQ from sources.  Part of
the problem was a bug in doctool.c (for which I'll send a patch to
cygwin-patches shortly).  However, even with that bug fixed, I got the
following error:

I/O error : Attempt to load network entity http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd
/usr/src/cygwin-cvs/build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/doc/cygwin-ug-net.sgml:3: warning: failed to load external entity "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd"
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd"[]>
                                                           ^
(with a bunch of other errors about undefined entities, which, I believe,
followed from the above).

I traced this down to the /usr/bin/xmlto, which invokes xsltproc with the
--nonet option.  A question to the xmlto maintainer: is there a particular
reason this option is being used?

Obviously somebody was able to successfully build the FAQ and User's
guide.  Was this using Cygwin?  If so, what versions of xmlto and the
various DocBook packages were used?

Thanks,
	Igor
--