Running php scripts under cygwin

Robert Fitzpatrick lists@webtent.net
Sun Jan 15 20:50:00 GMT 2006

Brett Serkez wrote:
>> You would think I could find lots of info on this subject, but for
>> some reason I can't. I found info from googling the subject and some
>> mention of building php with cygwin, but do not see PHP in cygwin
>> setup. I tried to run a php script from a cygwin prompt using the
>> php.exe installed into Windows, but get lots of module errors. Is it
>> possible to run a php script under cygwin. I just have a php script
>> that I use for backup with rsync over ssh and those tools work great
>> under cygwin. I'd like to use this same script that I use on my
>> unix/linux servers.
>>

> You would need to down load the php source package from www.php.net,
> install required development tools (i.e.,gcc, make...) and then
> configure, compile and install just as you would on a Linux system.
>
> Perl and php are so close in syntax, in the case of such a utility
> script, I would image it would be easier to convert the php script to
> perl to run under Cygwin, than build php from source.
>
> Are you intending to run the script from Apache, command line, cron?
>
> I use perl to drive rsync over ssh backups on both Linux and Windows and
> it works, save the issues that have been reported on this list.  For
> myself, I've had to compile a custom rsync to utilize pipes vs. a local
> socket to work around initial hangs, others have see hangs with large
> transfers.
>
> Brett

Thanks, yes, I want to use the script by cron, can you point out how
that will be done? I've found some cygwin cron stuff, but still no word
on exactly how I set that up under cygwin. I already thought I'd rewrite
the utility in Perl, but I figured I'd check to see if cygwin did have a
php port I was overlooking. The script is RIBS
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/ribs/), it is a very good script and I've
thought many times about rewriting in Perl since I don't believe it is
maintained anymore. Now I have a reason to do so.

--
Robert