Wich privileges required by ssh-host-config running user?

Chris Taylor chris@equate.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 18 15:36:00 GMT 2006

Manel Rodero wrote:
>>Because your are bound by the laws of ntfs access control
>>entrys. Having rights to write to a file doesn't mean you are
>>allowed to change its owner. You need permissions to change
>>the directory the files are in.
>>And getting this right is easier in windows than in cygwin.
>>Use cacls to look at etc and the files.
>>

> Yes, I've look into /etc and /etc/ssh* files. /etc directory is created by
> the setup process. The ssh* files are created by the ssh-host-config script.
>
> I know that the problem is with ACLs in the NTFS files but I would like to
> know why this problem only occurs in these servers (casually all of them are
> in a windows domain). Does the process of joining a domain change something
> in the local Administration account?

You want to try with the domain administrator account, not the local
administrator.
If you're logging on as administrator, and log on to is set to the
domain, then you are already doing so and something most unusual is
occuring - suggestive of an admin removing administrator access to the
root filesystem, or to certain parts of it.

--

Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket
of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world