problen with run command and the environment

Holger Krull holger.krull@gmx.de
Thu Jan 19 21:11:00 GMT 2006

Igor Peshansky schrieb:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Holger Krull wrote:
>
>> Maybe have bash start run starting bash, like that:
>>
>> E:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c -l 'run bash -c -l "CYGWIN=server Xwin.exe :0 -query murpel &" '
>>
>> It looks overly complicated, but helps me to keep the cygwin dirs from
>> the windows Path Variable and to get rid of the extra shell window.
>
> This will still flash the bash window, however briefly, when started from
> a shortcut.  The whole point of starting "run" first is to avoid that
> window.

I forgot to mention that i use this as a link on my desktop and in the properties i set start minimized. So i the bash doesn't show up at all

>  Also, you want to do "exec XWin" from bash, to avoid the extra
> bash process hanging around.

the & handles this

> BTW, one rarely mentioned alternative to "run" is "setsid".

There was a reason i didn't use setsid, but i don't remember it now. I need to check the discussion on Xfree list back then.