sshd client can't access remote shares

Steve Briggs zzybaloobah@yahoo.com
Sat Jan 21 05:26:00 GMT 2006

I can't access network shares when I connect via sshd.

My /etc/password file has only domain accounts:
Steve:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:14896:544:Steve,U-FDE\Steve,S-<blah>-4896:/temp:/bin/bash

I've given the Win2kPro "SYSTEM" user rights to:
   Act as part of the OS
   Create a token object
   Increase quotas
   Replace a process level token

When I'm logged into Windows as FDE\Steve:
  DOS>net use s: /d
  DOS>cd C:\cygwin\bin
  DOS>SET CYGWIN=ntsec
  DOS>bash
  bash>net use s: '\\rem_mach\rem_share'
this works as one would expect

When I:
  DOS>net use s: /d
  DOS>cd C:\cygwin\bin
  DOS>SET CYGWIN=ntsec
  DOS>bash
  bash>cygrunsrv -I sshd -p /usr/sbin/sshd -A -d
  bash>cygrunsrv -S sshd
then login as Steve via sshd using password authentication
(I have NOT set up authentication with keys), it says:
  "debug1: permanently_set_uid 14896/544"
It lets me login as Steve with my password, but
  bash>"net use s: '\\rem_mach\rem_share'" immedidately gives:
  "System error 1312 has occured."
This also happens with
  bash>net use s: '\\rem_mach\rem_share' /user:Steve
but
  bash>net use s: '\\rem_mach\rem_share' '/user:FDE\Steve' mypassword
works (seems to be the only combination that does work).
It doesn't seem to matter if I ssh in from a remote
machine or locally (bash>ssh localhost).

I thought that if I used password authentication with
sshd, that the process had all the correct user tokens
to access shares on the domain?

If I don't run sshd as SYSTEM, but as Steve
(with admin rights on the domain and local machine)
  bash>/usr/sbin/sshd -d
I can login as Steve via ssh and the
net use command works.

I need for multiple users to ssh (actually scp) in
and access their home directories on a remote share.
They can give passwords, but is *multiple* users.

Any ideas why remote access doesn't work with sshd
and password authentication?  I saw several
mentions of this problem in the archives, but I
think I've tried all the suggestions given.
I've attached the output of "cgycheck -svr".

Any ideas what to try next?

TIA,

Steve

http://mail.yahoo.com