Need information about data and bss segment address access in cygwin

Cliff Hones cliff@hones.org.uk
Tue Jan 24 15:10:00 GMT 2006

[Note  TOP posting is not the preferred way on this group.  I can't be bothered
to reformat it all - so look back on the thread for the full context.]

Sudahar wrote:
> Brian,
>       From your comments I understand that dll data/bss segment
> address is same as that of process data/bss segment
> address(data_start, data_end, bss_start and bss_end) when the process
> is loaded. Is that right

[I am not 100% confident I'm right her, but...] Each cygwin dll has its own
separate data and bss segments, and the linker generates _data_start__ etc
symbols for the dll when the dll is linked, just as it does for a normal
.exe.  The dll initialisation code, which you will find in
winsup/cygwin/dcrt0.cc, copies the addresses of these symbols into
the dll structures (d->...) which is used during fork as you quoted above.

Hope that helps.

-- Cliff