error starting sshd as a service

Raymond Blum raymond@paidtech.com
Sat Jul 1 04:00:00 GMT 2006

Hi
  My Win2003 server sshd stopped working last night, from the time of
day I assume that it was an MS Windows update and in hindsight
perhaps windows FW had started blocking it and it was reparable
but... I decided instead to upgrade my Cygwin installation to the
current release (bad move)

I have it at the point where I can run sshd as the sshd_server user
("/usr/sbin/sshd -D") but when I start it as a service I get the
message in the event viewer
"The sshd service was unable to log on as .\sshd_server with the
currently configured password due to the following error: The
parameter is incorrect."

I tried, against popular advice in the archives, to run as the local
system account and turn off privilege separation in sshd_config but
while the service started I then got the error "seteuid 1003 no such
process" in the application event log every time I tried to ssh into
the machine.  So, I abandoned that effort and put it back to running
as sshd_server.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, checked the password for the user
several times.

I have also googled and tried various advice offered on different
pages for the last 6 hours. So, I decided that it is time to ask for
help.

Here is what I have from cygrunsrv
$cygrunsrv -L
sshd
cygserver

$cygrunsrv -Q sshd
Service : sshd
Display name : CYG SSHD
Current State : Started
Command : /usr/sbin/sshd -D

I have no idea what parameter it is that's invalid (or even what
command it is a parameter to) - ie a parameter to cygrunsrv or a
parameter to sshd.

I have the machine running sshd -D from a session logged in as
sshd_server but obviously this is not acceptable in the long term.

Thanks for reading this far, any advice or ideas?
---Raymond