error starting sshd as a service

Raymond Blum raymond@paidtech.com
Sat Jul 1 20:05:00 GMT 2006

On Jul 1, 2006, at 3:40 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

 > Yes.  Please read and follow the problem reporting guidelines
found here:

Thanks.  cygcheck output is attached. In addition, here are the
details of my environment and history that are not reported by
cygcheck but are relevant.

*** I first allowed the script to create the sshd_server account,
since then I have modified the group membership of the account to
allow interactive logins (so that I could try running the sshd server
from the cygwin shell/CLI)

***Re: the configuration of SSHD - I allowed the script to do it, and
since then have used cygrunsrv to remove the service and then add it
back as follows:
cygrunsrv -I sshd -p /usr/sbin/sshd -u sshd_server -e "CYGWIN=binmode
tty ntsec" -t auto
it prompted me for a password, which I have verified is the correct one.

*** Re: permissions, here are what I believe to be the relevant files
$ ls -l /etc/ssh*
-rwxr-x--- 1 sshd_server None 1354 Jun 30 23:28 /etc/ssh_config
-rw------- 1 sshd_server None  668 Jun 30 20:50 /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
-rw-r--r-- 1 sshd_server None  610 Jun 30 20:50 /etc/
ssh_host_dsa_key.pub
-rw------- 1 sshd_server None  983 Jun 30 20:50 /etc/ssh_host_key
-rw-r--r-- 1 sshd_server None  647 Jun 30 20:50 /etc/ssh_host_key.pub
-rw------- 1 sshd_server None 1675 Jun 30 20:50 /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
-rw-r--r-- 1 sshd_server None  402 Jun 30 20:50 /etc/
ssh_host_rsa_key.pub
-rw-r--r-- 1 sshd_server None 2844 Jun 30 23:28 /etc/sshd_config

$ ls -l /var/empty/
total 16
-rw-r--r-- 1 sshd_server None 14272 Jul  1 15:51 cygcheck.out

$ ls -l /var/log/
total 820
-rw-r--r--  1 SYSTEM        root       0 Jun 30 23:02 cygserver.log
-rw-rw-rw-  1 Administrator None  282348 Jul  1 15:59 lastlog
-rwxr-x---+ 1 Administrator Users 683494 Jun 30 20:43 setup.log
-rwxr-x---+ 1 Administrator Users  18503 Jun 30 20:43 setup.log.full
-rw-rw-rw-  1 sshd_server   None     358 Jun 30 23:11 sshd.log

---Raymond