rsync over ssh hang issue understood

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Sun Jul 2 02:12:00 GMT 2006

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 11:05:24AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>You are misunderstanding me.  There is code in cygwin which is designed
>to work around the problem of select() not working correctly when it is
>used to test the write side of pipes.  It is currently turned off
>because it wasn't working perfectly but the person responsible for
>fixing it seemed to be confident that the problem could be fixed.
>Before we throw out that code, I want to know that it can't be made to
>work since it involved a substantial change to pipe handling.

Since I'm not getting any nibbles when I talk about "the person
responsible" here, I guess he must be long gone by now.

So, his pipe code, which seemed to be based on correct concepts, is
basically up for grabs for some enterprising soul to either take it the
rest of the way or prove that it can't be made to work.

cgf