Using du.exe to calculate disk usage on a Microsoft cluster server

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Fri Jul 7 16:32:00 GMT 2006

On 07 July 2006 17:03, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> filenames.  I *still* don't understand how it is possible for your users to
>> create files with names that are longer than the maximum filename length
>> that windows permits - this is a limitation of the windows OS and filing
>> system, not one that cygwin imposes.
>
> As far as I recall the PATH_MAX of 260 applies to the ANSI versions of
> the file APIs, but if you use the Unicode version you can create names
> up to 32K UTF-16 characters in length.  So it is entirely possible to
> create a file with a name that is too long to access via normal programs
> that aren't using the Unicode variants of the API functions (which
> includes Cygwin.)

  Ah, then one workaround would be to translate the paths into the
\\.\S:\blablabla native form, perhaps?

dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware> ls -la //./C:/
ls: //./C:/: No such host or network path
dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware> ls -la //./c:/
ls: //./c:/: No such host or network path
dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware> ls -la '\\.\c:\'
ls: \\.\c:\: No such file or directory
dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware> ls -la '\\.\c:\.'
ls: \\.\c:\.: No such file or directory
dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware> ls -la \\\\.\\c:\\
ls: \\.\c:\: No such file or directory
dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware> ls -la \\\\.\\C:\\
ls: \\.\C:\: No such file or directory
dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware>

  Hmm, perhaps it wouldn't be.  I can't seem to make it work any more.  Doh.

    cheers,
      DaveK