grep and words
Brian Dessent
brian@dessent.net
Wed Jul 12 07:41:00 GMT 2006
prz wrote:
> another question from newbie ..
> is it possible with grep to select only the rows where the second word
> applies, because the pattern can occur at different places like :
> row 1 : xxxx yyyy zzz
> row 2 : yyyy xxxx zzz
> I need only the row where word 2 = yyyy
> grep yyyy would also return row 2
This is not specific to Cygwin in any way, so it's kind of off-topic for
this mailing list. I suggest you google for regular expression
tutorials, as this is the basis for how grep operates.
If it were me I would use grep -P "^\S+\s+yyyy" but there are numerous
ways to accomplish this and it would depend on the specifics of the data
that you're trying to match.
Brian
--
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list