Consol mode question

Richard Quadling rquadling@googlemail.com
Fri Jul 14 09:16:00 GMT 2006

I tried JUST what you did.

It worked.

I've a windows only user and only recently installed cygwin.

I created my hello.c, opened a CMD Prompt, typed gcc hello.c -o
hello.exe and got no errors. Typed hello and got "Hello, world!". As
expected.

I installed Cygwin using the setup.exe from Cygwin's site and MAY have
added the cygwin's bin directory to my PATH (if it wasn't done by the
installation - can't remember).

That's it! Easy.

On 14/07/06, Benn Fine <bennfine@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Warning - old time unix user, unsure windows user
>
> newbie question: how do I use cygwin from a dos
> window, as seen in the example below from the
> documentation.
>
> Console Mode Applications
> Use gcc to compile, just like under UNIX. Refer to the
> GCC User's Guide for information on standard usage and
> options. Here's a simple example:
>
> Example 4.1. Building Hello World with GCC
>
> C:\> gcc hello.c -o hello.exe
> C:\> hello.exe
> Hello, World
>
> C:\>