1.5.21s mmap error

Fri Jul 14 15:56:00 GMT 2006

On Jul 14 09:42, Brian Ford wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > I'm not sure we really want to do that, certainly not for 1.5.21.  If
> > you need this sort of functionality, switch off MAP_NORESERVE.
>
> Sure, I know how to work around it.
>
> I just wanted to point out that MAP_NORESERVE is somewhat broken.  I'd bet
> there are other applications that will be caught by this bug.  Shouldn't
> we just disable it until it works well enough for the application to at
> least not know we aren't quite compliant?

Compliance is a problem with a non-standard feature...

No, I will not switch it off.  It's working at least for the case it
was intended for.  If you want to switch off all features which don't
exactly work like some other OS, you could switch off half of Cygwin,
I guess.  The idea is to have features working for most cases and then
to get it working gradually better.

And last but not least, http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI and
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC.

Corinna