cygwin1.dll conflict

Dale King dalewking@gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 07:13:00 GMT 2006

On 7/17/06, Dale King <dalewking@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:

> >  >>delete it. But there is no cygwin1.dll there or anywhere else on my

> > > ...which says...
> > >
> > > "Warning: There are multiple cygwin1.dlls on your path"
> > >
> > > ...and lists....
> > >
> > >   602k 2005/06/26 C:\WINDOWS\system32\cygwin1.dll - os= 4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
> > >                   "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2005/5/25 19:38
> > >
> > >  1831k 2006/07/01 C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
> > >                   "cygwin1.dll " v0.0 ts=2006/7/1 2:22
> > >
> > >   You must need more coffee!
> >
> > It's possible that somebody (or some installer) has marked the
> > cygwin1.dll in system32 as system and/or hidden. This may explain why it
> > doesn't appear in explorer or a DOS directory listing.
> >
> > Explorer has an option which will show hidden and system files: set that
> > and you ought to be able to find it.

Sorry to take so long to reply. I got involved on other things and
forgot that I had even asked the question here until someone emailed
me and asked if I had solved it.

And I did try rootkit revealer before I posted the original message.

I had show hidden and system files on. It turns out what I had to do
was turn off "Hide protected operating system files". When I turned
that off it showed up and I could delete it. That probably also
explains why setup couldn't delete it. I'm not sure where this
extraneous version came from. The date on it was just a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the help. Your suggestion put me on the right path.

--
Dale King