cygwin 1.5.20 and stalling cygstart

Krzysztof Duleba krzysan@skrzynka.pl
Tue Jul 18 10:32:00 GMT 2006

Krzysztof Duleba wrote:
> I've just upgraded to 1.5.20 to get gvim 7 running and one of my
> programs doesn't work anymore.
>
> I attach simple test case: if you compile foo.cpp and start it from a
> cygwin shell, it should run OK. However, if you start it from a windows
> shell / windows explorer / whatnot, you should see stalling cygstart.
> cygstart process won't exit even when you close notepad, you will have
> to kill it manually.

Reproduced with the latest snapshot. It can be even further simplified,
just run 'perl foo.pl' from windows command line.

I include the foo.pl script inline as I've just got several messages about
my attachments being blocked by antivirus software:

$ cat foo.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl

my $cmd = "cygstart /cygdrive/c/windows/system32/notepad.exe";
$cmd .= " \"foobar\"";
exec($cmd);

Krzysztof Duleba