Two different cygwin environments

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Wed Jul 19 03:36:00 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 01:42:55PM -0400, Andrei Stebakov wrote:
>Igor Peshansky <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> writes:
>>On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Andrei Stebakov wrote:
>>>I am using the current cygwin installed by cygwin.exe.  Also on the
>>>same machine I need to use an older versin of Cygwin so I wonder what's
>>>the best way to have two cygwin environments on the same machine, under
>>>the same user so they don't collide.
>>
>>The Cygwin DLL strives to be backward-compatible (i.e., any
>>applications that run using the older Cygwin1.dll should also run using
>>the newer DLL).  Is there a reason you really need the older DLL
>>around?
>
>Yes, there is a reason.  The company we currently work with supplies
>their own building environment cygwin+watcom c++ and they stress that
>it won't work with the latest cygwin.  I wish they had just used the
>latest stuff that I use!

So do we.  The real answer to this question is that we don't support
people who supply variants of the cygwin DLL.

If you have problems you should be asking this company how to deal with
them.  And, while you're at it, you might ask them for the sources to
the cygwin DLL, just to make sure that they are complying with the GPL.

cgf