MS Windows 2k3 domain users issue

Tue Jul 25 23:22:00 GMT 2006

MyStiC wrote:
>> From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)"
>> It's not clear whether your '/etc/groups' file is up-to-date on your XP
>> machine.  Try running 'mkgroup -l -d >/etc/group'.  If you have trouble
>
> XP machine is at my office and the w2k3 server is at my residence.
> The 'etc/group' file on the XP box was build local to the machine and
> the domain it is connected to as well as the password file.  According
> to the documentation I've seen on this, the client side (connecting
> from) 'group & passwd' files do not 'participate' in the
> authentication to the server.  That the 'server side' is unable to
> properly validate the incoming client credentials against the 'server
> side' '/etc/group & /etc/passwd' files.

So you're saying that the user you're connecting to your server with is
in the '/etc/passwd' file on the server and that the '/etc/group' on
that server contains the group specified in the '/etc/passwd' for that
user?

>> doing this, check if you need to specify your domain as well.
>
> Example of SSH connection process:
> SSH ssh_server_domain_name -l username
>
> adding the @ and domain behind the username also does not work.
> Administrators have no problem connecting, but no other users can.

My reference to the domain was relative to generating proper '/etc/passwd'
and '/etc/group' files on your server for the users in question.  See
'man mkpasswd' and 'man mkgroup'.

Can a non-domain user connect?  Sounds to me like this is a permissions
issue.  Have you checked that Cygwin thinks the user has access to his/her
home directory, etc?

You may also find it useful to run a version of the server with
verbosity/debugging turned on so you can see any messages that may get
generated.  It's often helpful in these cases.

Holliston, MA 01746