rsh with command hangs, rlogin works

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Sat Jun 3 00:43:00 GMT 2006

Lars Björnfot wrote:
>> $ rsh localhost ls HANGS for any command
> Still unsolved but: I noted a SIGSEGV message in the syslog which
> explains why it hangs.
>
> /var/log/messages:
> Jun 2 23:39:12 baloo kernel: in.rshd[3308]: segfault at 00000003 rip
> 0022E4E5 rsp 0022E454 error 4
>
> I downloaded the inetutil sources, added some syslog lines and
> pinpointed the problem to the rresvport() call:
>
> rshd.c:
> s = rresvport(&lport);
>
> rshd crashes on the first attempt, when lport=1023.
You and I are working on similar problems lately. I spent some time
installing syslogd hoping to get more info about this much like you. I
got syslogd installed and running - but nothing ever logged anything to
/var/log/messages 'cept start and stop messages. IOW, with syslogd
running, rsh <machine> put nothing into /var/log/messages. Once syslogd
is up and running, how do you switch such services to log to there?

Regarding in.rshd dying, I have seen in.rshd.stackdump's around.

BTW Lars, how did you get rsh passwordless login configured via .rhosts?
I had done this successfully in the past but I remember having to change
the permissions on my home directory by opening them up a bit (I believe
I needed to add Everybody Read access but I forget - it was a while
ago). Note that we use networked home directories from another server
that is mounted to essentially /home (actually /us). So while I have
what I think is a validly formated ~/.rhosts it's really
//<server>/<share>/adefaria/.rhosts.

Another thing I noticed in my digging around last night - In order to
avoid the complications of having everybody set up their .rhosts
properly and play with permissions, in the past on our old 2000 server I
simply removed the password field in /etc/passwd. This also allows
passwordless logins without having to setup and maintain ~/.rhosts
files. Insecure - I know - but it worked.

Now we are on a 2003 server and it appears security has been tightened
somewhat. Now if I have a user who's password field has been removed and
I try an rsh I get "Switch user <username> failed"! If I put something
the password field I get prompted for a password and rsh works. However
rsh <machine> <command> still fails. It seems clear to me that this is
in or close to the code that is supposed to echo a message "Permission
denied" or whatever error is supposed to be issued when one tries an rsh
with a command but their .rhosts is not set up properly...