BUG (1.5.19-4): libdl.a is missing

Daniel Santos daniel@bytesage.com
Sat Jun 3 13:14:00 GMT 2006

cygwin (as in the base cygwin package) is missing /lib/libdl.a.  The
install for the cygwin package should create a symlink with this name
that links to libcygwin.a in the same directory.  Otherwise, builds for
a lot of different software packages are broken.  Example is bash-3.1.
It will die at this point:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSHELL  -I. -I.. -I../include -I../lib -g
-DCROSS_COMPILING -o mkbuiltins mkbuiltins.o -ldl
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
cannot find -ldl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Create the above symlink and everybody is happy, nobody has to die...

Note:  It was a pain in the ass to figure out how to report and bug.
Would be nice if there was a bug database or something.  Will be worse
if I have to subscribe to this list to post to it.

Daniel
--

dd if=/dev/zero of=/ram/awsomeswap bs=1024 count=16384
mkswap -v0 /ram/awsomeswap 16384