rm not honoring directory access permissions

Sat Jun 3 18:53:00 GMT 2006

Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> I recently noticed that rm will delete a file without proper regard to the
> access permissions of the containing directory. Researching the archives, I
> see that this subject was touched on ("POSIX compliance of unlink(2)") in
> February 2005, but the discussion seemed to veer off to a side issue (IMHO)
> of updating various ctime's. So, I'm left wondering about the problem of
> deleting the file. Is this a bug that ought to be fixed or what is the
> rationale for maintaining the current behavior?
>
> To remind anyone of the specific issue, consider the following in which rm
> deletes (but shouldn't) file a/b:
>
> $ mkdir a
> $ touch a/b
> $ chmod a-w a
> $ rm a/b

I guess you missed the entire discussion on this and the subsequent
implementation.  And it turns out that the implementation has the added
bonus of being documented in the User's Guide. :-)  See the "(no)traverse"
option for the CYGWIN environment variable at:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>

Holliston, MA 01746