mv does copy instead of rename

Sun Jun 4 06:51:00 GMT 2006

Richard Foulk wrote:
> In an Active Directory environment Windows Explorer was refusing to
> rename a directory, presumably because the directory was open by
> another process.

Why are you presuming this?  Didn't Windows report why this was not being
done?

> On trying mv under Cygwin to rename the directory, mv seemed to just
> hang.  It was a large directory and mv was actually copying the files
> to the new named directory (on the same partition.)
>
> Does this seem like appropriate behaviour?  It was certainly unexpected.

Well, if Windows can't tell you why it couldn't move the directory, Cygwin,
which relies on Windows for it's functionality, is probably not going to be
able to out-do Windows in this regard.  'mv' may have misinterpreted Window's
"confusion" here as a cross-device move, which is implemented as a copy
followed by a remove of the original directory.  But you'd have to investigate
it to know for sure.

> I'm pretty sure mv is never supposed to do this on Unix.

Depends on the situation, as I noted above.

Holliston, MA 01746