Populating /var/run/utmp?

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Mon Jun 5 19:27:00 GMT 2006

mwoehlke wrote:

> I would like to use 'w' on my Cygwin installation. I found
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-09/msg01177.html, but it only seems to
> work on one of my computers:
>
> $ echo $CYGWIN
> binmode tty ntsec
> $ w
>   13:03:11 up 5 days, 22:30,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
> USER     TTY        LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
> $

'w' works fine for me without having "tty" in $CYGWIN.  But that's
because I use rxvt.  If I set CYGWIN=tty and then start "bash -li" then
"w" also shows the logged on user.  Are you sure you're not trying to
set CYGWIN=tty after the first shell has already initialized?  It won't
work if you do that, it has to be set before.

(BTW, adding "ntsec" to $CYGWIN is a waste of time, as this has been the
default for many years.)

Brian