FW: Need help to compile coreutils-5.96

Eric Blake ericblake@comcast.net
Thu Jun 15 01:50:00 GMT 2006

> When compiling this package, I receive this error message from the linker:
>
> gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2   -o cp.exe  cp.o copy.o cp-hash.o ../lib/libcoreutils.a
>   ../lib/libcoreutils.a
> copy.o:copy.c:(.text+0xefd): undefined reference to `_cygwin_spelling'
> copy.o:copy.c:(.text+0x2b38): undefined reference to `_cygwin_spelling'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Does someone have any idea about what is wrong?

It sounds like you did not properly run the /usr/src/coreutils-5.96-1.sh
script to prep the source with my downstream patches.  cygwin_spelling()
is a function I wrote, provided in lib/cygwin.c which is part of my patch,
and should be linked in to lib/libcoreutils.a if the package is properly
re-autotooled during the prep stage.

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin coreutils maintainer